Friday, November 28, 2014

Gettin' Frosted

I have struggled with what to do with this back window since I moved in two and a half years ago.  The metal door kept me from attaching a real curtain rod.  I have been using this magnetic one, but it falls off with the slightest touch and, if it's not put in the perfect place, it slides down the door.  I saw this pin and thought that I would give the contact paper a try.  It is only $8 so if it looked horrible, there isn't too much at stake.  I could pull it off and put the curtains back up until I come up with a better option.  


Clearly privacy is an issue with nothing covering the window, especially with four houses around me currently mid-renovation.  
 After some very careful measuring and google converting I used my Silhouette to cut nine rectangles.  I subtracted 1/2 an inch from the width and height to leave a little outline around the contact paper.  I decided to go with a simple rectangle, mostly due to my laziness and inability to find a pattern that didn't look segmented in the 5 inch sections.

The trickiest part was pulling the contact paper off the backing without any creasing.  Even the smallest creases are visible.  Maybe I ruined five different cuts doing this whole project.  I carefully lined the contact paper up and used a credit card to smooth out any bubbles.  There were still some small bubbles even with my careful application, but they have already magically disappeared.


I love how it lets a ton of light in without putting us on stage for any passersby.  It looks very naked without the curtains, so I have some ideas in the works for that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment