Monday, September 23, 2013

A few weeks ago I found this great wrapping paper at HomeGoods. I picked it up knowing I had to use it somewhere in my house.


I immediately thought of this old desk I have been using for my sewing machine in my craft room. It had holes in the top from a now-missing tower and some water damage at the bottom from being stored in a garage at a college house. 

The first thing I did was fill the holes with a little bit of wood filler and give it a little sanding.


Note the water damage...


 Then I used the same paint that I used on my bookshelf makeover to paint two good coats over the top edge.


 Then I covered the whole top in a layer of Mod Podge with a cheap foam brush.  



 Next, I added the paper to the top and covered with another layer of Mod Podge with the same foam brush.  I took a luggage tag (the first flat tool I could grab) and slowly pushed all of the excess Mod Podge out from under the paper to make it nice and smooth.  I went over the whole top about a million times to get all of the bubbles out.
 I continued the whole process with the pull out drawer.


 I finished it up by painting a couple coats of the while paint over the rest, focusing on covering the water damage on the lower sides.  I love the way it turned out.  I may need to add glass to the top to protect the paper from my sewing machine, but now I am loving it without!  I have officially caught the refinishing bug, so keep an eye out for my future projects!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment