Wednesday, May 22, 2013

As this is the first summer as an official homeowner, a lot of my time will be spent beautifying my not-so-beautiful yard.  Nothing to give you some motivation like a notice from the city saying they are going to fine you if you don't have your yard cut in three days time!  I realized it was time to pay the green space a little attention.  I now a proud owner of my very own lawnmower, but that is just a start.  These are some of the projects that I am hoping to get finished started this summer.  Feel free to stop by and lend a hand!

1.  Mosquito grass:  Last summer, every trip out to the car or the trash can was a serious mission.  We would have to suit up in long sleeves and pants, which was not ideal in the 110 degree Nashville summer.  I will be planting this lemongrass which repels mosquitoes in every nook and cranny of my backyard.
2.  Rain barrel:  One inch of rain can produce as much as 700 gallons of rain off a typical roof.  By capturing rain in this 55  gallon barrel and using it to water all that lemongrass, I can save both money and water.  It's a win-win!
3.  Outdoor chandelier: It's just so pretty!  Perfect for enjoying summer nights on the porch!
4.  Tree Bench:  Let's see how those mean people at the city feel about my yard after this is complete!
5.  Climbing plants:  This is just the thing I need to block out my less-than-ideal neighbors.
6.  Wine bottle citronella candles:  Again with the war on mosquitoes.  They will not beat me this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment